Counseling for Trauma
Most people will experience trauma in their lifetime whether it’s a car accident, abuse or neglect, the sudden death of a loved one, a violent criminal act, exposure to the violence of war, or a natural disaster.
Trauma can present itself in a number of ways, from physical symptoms to mental health symptoms. It can look like avoidance of large gatherings, difficulty sleeping at night, nightmares, or it can seem like a heart attack that turns out to be a panic attack. These symptoms can come out of nowhere at any time.
Have you experienced trauma? What does that look like for you and how is that impacting your daily life? Are you having trouble sleeping, are you always fearful or lashing out to protect yourself from perceived dangers? How is your body responding to all the constant triggers, maybe with stomachaches, headaches, or general body aches that have no medical explanation.
While many people can recover from trauma over time with the love and support of family and friends and bounce back with resiliency, others may discover effects of lasting trauma, which can cause a person to live with deep emotional pain, fear, confusion, or posttraumatic stress far after the event has passed.
In these circumstances, the support, guidance, and assistance of a therapist is fundamental to healing from trauma.
According to the four types of symptoms listed in the DSM-5-TR
- Avoiding specific locations, sights, situations, and sounds that serve as reminders of the event
- Anxiety, depression, numbness, or guilt
- Intrusive thoughts, nightmares or flashbacks
- Anger, irritability, and hypervigilance
- Aggressive, reckless behavior, including self-harm
- Sleep disturbances
Negative Mood and Cognition Symptoms
- Loss of interest in activities that were once considered enjoyable
- Difficulty remembering details of the distressing event
- Change in habits or behavior since the trauma
If you or someone you know matches the trauma symptoms listed above, I am confident that I can help and invite you to contact me today for a free consultation.